Sunday, January 18, 2015

Wheatless Bars

Wheatless is gluen-free.

You might have heard about the benefits of avoiding wheat and you might have tried it and liked the feeling.
Here is a great feel-good recipe for snack that can replace traditional but harmful alternatives.

I give the ingredients in units. You can use one cup or a half a cup or as I do 2 cups at a time.
All ingredients should be raw: in natural state, no-salt, not roasted.

1    unit of Pumpkin Seeds
1    unit of Slivered Almond

1/2 unit of Flax seeds
1/2 unit of Chia seeds
1    unit of Coconut flakes
1    unit of Cashew pieces
1/2 unit of Cinnamon

I also use nuts and seeds that I have home. The more the merrier, right?
Sunflower seeds
Walnut pieces
Sesame seeds
I even blend in Fennel seeds because they are good for you!

I add shaved dark chocolate because we LOVE chocolate.

PLUS
2   units of dried apricots, dates or figs boiled with some water and pureed (with the water)
This is the sticky agent for the bars.

In a large bowl I combine all nuts and seeds, coconut, cinnamon, shaved chocolate.
I sometimes have to chop some of the bigger sized whole nuts so I put in the fennel seeds as well so they are not obvious.

I boil the dried fruit with the same amount of water and after it cools down

I mix the whole thing and add a little bit of honey.
I can use a unit of hazelnut syrup, even natural peanut butter.
Use your own discretion for the amount as long as it helps keep the bars intact.

At this point I divide it into two balls. Some of us in our family like it raw so I take plastic wrap sheets and roll it up. I keep it in the freezer as per our preference but it isn't neccessary.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
The other half is spread onto a baking sheet in a 1/2 inch layer. I cut it into bar sized portions and separate them just a bit so they would not join during baking.

Bake it for 20 minutes or until golden.

After it cools down I wrap them individually.

Try it and enjoy! Be creative and let me know how you improved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment